POINT LOOKOUT, MO. — The College of the Ozarks Jones Theatre Company will present “Of Prophets and Fools: The Horace Bender Story,” as its winter production.
The performances will take place Friday and Saturday, Dec. 2-3, at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 4, at 2:30 p.m. in the Jones Auditorium. The cost for performances are as follows: adults, $10; senior citizens, $8; students (non-College of the Ozarks), $8; children (12 and under), $6. College Associates will be admitted free upon showing Associates card. Associate guests are $5.00.
To make reservations, call the Theatre Department Box Office at (417) 690-2626.
The production, written by Josh Williams, College of the Ozarks 2000 theatre graduate and radio station manager, will be performed by C of O students and directed by Lisa Young, associate professor of theatre. The synopsis of the play focuses on the life of Horace Bender, a young man with a speech impediment, who is kicked by a horse and pronounced deceased. Three days later, he wakes up at his own funeral with a message from God: The world is coming to an end on Sept. 22, 1874. Believing himself to be tasked with a divine assignment, Horace travels the Midwest sharing the news of the impending end of time. Upon meeting Christine, Horace finds that a combination of true love and one man's wrath threatens his mission's success. However, as Sept. 22, 1874 looms closer, it becomes clear that his most significant threat is time itself.
- Mama Bender, performed by Kamarae Wilson, sophomore music ministry major from Springfield, Missouri
- Eddie Boyd, performed by Elijah Lyons, junior music theatre major from Rich Hill, Missouri
- Horace Bender, performed by Judah Sawyer, senior music theatre major from Olympia, Washington
- Ira Bender, performed by William Bressler, senior theatre major from Jonesboro, Arkansas
- Preacher/William, performed by Bradley Shelton, senior theatre major from Rolla, Missouri
- Dr. Shaeffer/Amos, performed by Samuel Pitt, sophomore business administration major from Greenwood Villa, Colorado
- Gladys performed by Faith Falter, junior Spanish education major from Freeburg, Missouri
- Millie, performed by Emma Walters, sophomore criminal justice major from St. Clair, Missouri
- Mavis, performed by Susie Johnson, senior music theatre major from West Desmoines, Iowa
- Mayor Newton performed by Tierce Carmody, sophomore music theatre major from DeSoto, Missouri
- Christine Bennett, performed by Dorothie Goode, senior music major from Vilonia, Arkansas
- Reverend Hiram Bennett performed by Jacob Priestner, sophomore communication major from Springdale, Arkansas
- Asa, performed by Gage Hauck, freshman elementary education major from Camdenton, Missouri
- Eileen, performed by Auna Tayloe, sophomore theater major from Poplar Bluff, Missouri
- Anna Stauffer, performed by Phoebe Ulmer, sophomore musical theatre major from Seneca, Kansas
- Ensemble performed by:
- Josiah Sims, freshman speech and theatre education major from Cordova, Tennessee
- Alexander Olson, senior culinary arts major from Florissant, Missouri
- Michelle Crain, sophomore video production major from Eureka Springs, Arkansas
- Rachel Hall, junior video production major from Kansas City, Missouri
- Elijah Clymer, sophomore vocal performance major from Stella, Missouri
- Victoria Rivera, freshman theatre major from Siloam Springs, Arkansas
- Carmen Bolding, sophomore music theory and composition major from Fort Madison, Iowa